Thursday, February 2, 2012

iTunes for Educators – More Than Meets the “i”



©2011 Mannaz, Flickr
               I’ve been reading about connectivism in education. This simply means that “learning occurs as part of a social network of many diverse connections and ties”(see Networked Student by Dr. Wendy Drexler). As I’ve been learning in my Technology for Educators Course, technology is rapidly changing and it’s important to understand how educators can use these technologies in the classroom.  This week, we covered a plethora of subjects surrounding technologies ranging from blogging, Common Craft, and communications networks to Apple for educators, Virtual Reality, and Netiquette.  Amongst all this learning, the one thing that really caught my i…I mean eye, was Apple iTunes.  I’ve been using iTunes for years so I already feel like an expert. When I say years, I’m talking about ever since I got my 5th generation iPod with video (bought it through Apple using their educator discount back in 2005). Yep, I’m still using that baby every day and it’s still going strong. I definitely got my money’s worth. Back to my expertise…I feel like an expert because I have used iTunes for multiple features, both personally and for my classroom. I download music often. I download all sorts of free podcasts, including Ben Greenfield, Focus on the Family, and Clark Howard.
                In my first grade classroom, I used iTunes for music. I also started downloading podcasts like Storynory and Free Audiobooks for children.  I would put these on a CD and have 2-3 students listening to the CD at the Listening Station during Literacy Centers.  Listening not only gave the students time to chill out and enjoy stories, but it also provided for fluency modeling and encouraged visualization.  I also had my first graders listen to various fourth grade classes from all around the world who uploaded their own podcasts.  These students had teachers who made the typical assignment not only more interesting, but more global.  They were reading and summarizing stories, discussing how to develop a character, and explaining simple machines for a world audience. 
Top iTunes Podcast ©2008 Marcopako, Flickr
                So with my course assignment this week, I wanted to look into more of what Apple provides for educators seeking to teach with a connectivist approach. Apple offers many resources but I decided to focus only on how iTunes can help educators.  Boy, were my blinders taken off!  All this time I was overlooking many worthwhile iTunes features.  I'm sharing a few simple ways iTunes can help enhance your students’ learning experience.  You can access culturally diverse music when teaching on different cultures or time periods.  There are all kinds of free audio and video podcasts available.  Download some lessons on learning French or Spanish.  There’s even CNN Student News, Why? Science for Kids, and Poem of the Day.  The English as a Second Language (ESL) podcast has short lessons for improving English speaking and listening skills. Lessons vary and include paycheck deductions, animals at the zoo, and being in a flood.
                I don’t know what I thought iTunes U was, but I did notice that tab in the iTunes Store before. With all my exploring this week, I’ve  learned iTunes U is where educators can design and distribute complete courses. You can download lessons, videos, discussions, and music from schools all around the world.  Watch a video podcast about a geometry lesson in building spaghetti bridges from a high school in New Jersey.  Check out a series on the Civil War produced by Mrs. Lee’s 4th grade class in Columbia County, Florida.  I just watched a 55-minute video podcast of Harvard professor Michael Sandel teaching on justice and morals – The Case for Cannibalism. Who says I’m not smart enough to learn at Harvard? There truly is “more than meets the eye” on iTunes and what I mentioned here is just a tiny snippet of all iTunes has to offer. To learn more about iTunes, visit Apple’s official page.  I’d love to hear how you’re using iTunes in your classroom or even in your personal life. Leave me a comment. After all, I’m still learning too.

7 comments:

tonga7 said...

Bren,
I really enjoyed your blog for this week. I wish I was as savvy as you are, being able to include the pictures and the links. I learned how to put a picture in my blog but I am still new at this.

I too enjoyed the Apple link that was in our learning I got more from the technology video. I have a new apple that I am learning my way around and the video was helpful. I have the first ipod as well it still works great! Your blog was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.

Amy R. said...

Brenda!

I have to say I really enjoyed reading this entry to your blog. You brought up some really good points related to what we've learned this week.

You brought up using podcasts in your classroom as a literary center, and also the benefits of itunes. Having children listen to their favorite stories being read to them on their own time is a wonderful way to encourage reading in a classroom. It is impossible for teachers to read everyone's favorite book at the students' beck and call. Additionally, we all know that most kids, of any age, love being read to.

That being said there are even more ways to make these podcasts more connected to the students. In many classrooms students have projects where they write their own short books, a wonderful way to encourage and promote literacy. Programs such as GarageBand and Audacity allow individuals to record words and sounds. These can be used to make podcasts. The students can have the opportunity to record themselves reading their books, and add the podcast to their class library. That sense of ownership will help encourage students to remain literate. In effect, digital literacy helps promote typical literacy. And it's our job to search for and provide these tools to our students, just as you have!

Great post!
-Amy R.

Bren Harkins said...

Tonga7, Thanks for your comments. I don't know which program you use for your blog but on Blogger I can tell you how to add links for your photo captions. After you add your caption, highlight the text of your caption and click "Link". Then you just add the URL of whatever page you want to pop up when the user clicks on the photo caption. Hope this helps!

Amy,
Thanks for commenting. I wish that I had it all together and set up so that my students recorded themselves..maybe on a digital recorder(?) and were able to listen to themselves and each other reading. I know it would take a while to get that first set up and running but should be little maintenance and work once the kids got it. It would be worth it. Excellent ideas! Thanks for sharing.
~Bren H.

Kim C. said...

Hi Bren,
I can relate to your post in a number of ways. First off, I have a pretty good working knowledge of iTunes, but just haven't taken the time to dig around. iTune U is really awesome! I refer my students to this section of iTunes often. The offerings in iTunes U are especially helpful for auditory learners.
Also, in building my Personal Learning Network, sites like Khan Academy (also in iTunes U) are quite helpful.
Lastly, your post prompted me to explore educational podcasts, something I've been meaning to do. I subscribed to a few that I'll test out in the next week.
All and all, there is just so much to choose from, it really takes some time to get in there and become familiar with everything. Then, it's also important to continue to revisit, because things change and get better every day!
~Kim C.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I did not know iTunes did half of the things that you wrote about! The only thing I use my iPod for is music while I run. I cannot wait now to sit down and really get into it! I am so excited to learn about the lessons in foreign language. My son has wanted to learn some Spanish and this would be a wonderful place to start. I also really like the poetry aspect. I am taking a writing course also and we were discussing integrating poetry into the classroom. What a wonderful way to do it with technology! Thanks for the great blog!
Kristen G.T.

Kelvin said...

Bren:

Quick note...

5th generation video iPod + iTalk Pro microphone = digital audio recorder

:-)

Kelvin

Bren Harkins said...

Kelvin,
Thanks for the quick note! So I could have been recording myself, students, and anyone else very easily this whole time! Will look into iTalk Pro microphone...thanks!
~Bren