Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sitting is Hard on the Body


I don’t know about you, but being a grad student is a pain in the bottom-literally. I sit for hours at the computer without realizing the time passing by! I’ll look at the clock and it astonishes me that two hours have just vanished. Did I move at all during this time?  I am a living statue at my desk.  My bottom is sore, my shoulders are sore, my right arm is sore, my knees are sore.  Exercising regularly is not enough, I need to take more breaks from sitting. Prolonged immobility and restricted blood flow have led to harmful conditions such as deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or eThrombosis, a variant form of venous thromboembolism (VTE).  Mixing this risk with the news that sitting long periods shaves years off life (CNN.com) and you’ve got a recipe for disaster if you’re not careful. We learn about viruses and harmful material on the Internet. We need to be aware of the potential harm that exists for our bodies with living in a techno-savvy environment.

DVT was first attributed to problems during the air-raids of WWII when Londoners would sleep upright in deck chairs in the shelters. The inactivity led to a blood clot forming in the legs. This could be fatal if the clot lodged in the lungs (pulmonary embolism).  Sitting for prolonged periods contributes to life threatening VTE1.This is why people traveling for extensive periods are at risk too (See Dying to Fly). There are other factors that contribute to likelihood of blood clotting but most people don’t know if they are at risk.  Monitoring your movement is key and easy for anyone to do.

When I was teaching in the classroom, I hardly sat at my desk. Now that I’m the student, I feel empathy for those who work on computers all day. Different strokes for different folks, but let me just say I don’t envy them. It can really drain a person and sometimes I feel as though the last thing I want to do in my spare time is sit and look at a computer, phone, or TV screen.  Most of us are sitting for long periods of time when we work or play on computers. There are extreme cases of these immobile hazards, including two that involved technology. I will say veteran techies and serious gamers seem to get very defensive when you hear about such cases. I’m not saying that computers are the problem. Experts are telling us move around and take breaks, exercise, eat healthy, and be sensible. Although these are extreme (and real) scenarios, it is likely that some people are working at their computers ten, twelve, or even more hours a day.

The more we know about these health risks, the more likely we are to change our lifestyles so that we are living sensibly and healthy even in the realm of technology. According to the Coalition to Prevent Deep-Vein Thrombosis, the number of pulmonary embolism (a complication from DVT) deaths per year in the U.S. is more than the number of AIDS and breast cancer fatalities combined. I think it’s worthwhile we take note of this to remind ourselves, our students, friends, and family to take those short breaks to move around a bit. It just could save a life.

How are you making sure you’re not sitting in one position too long, whether it’s traveling or working on the computer?  Leave a comment and share your ideas.


6 comments:

matiagreen said...

Wow, what a wonderfully written blog post. You are so right about how time flies when you're on the computer. I sit down to do work and before I know it the minutes turn into hours so quickly. I was astonished to read about the young man passing away from being on the computer for so long. I know when I feel like I've been at the computer for too long, I have to stop and get away from the computer, go outside and take in some fresh air. When traveling for long periods of time I will always stop to stretch, use the restoom or whatever it is I need to do to keep myself awake, aware and fresh. Very good post for those of us with technology oriented jobs and leisure activities.

Cynthia Cunningham said...

This was so informative and thought-provoking. I work with younger students so I am always on the move providing "tech support" (i.e, don't click there, your pointer fingers stay on f and j, you kicked the plug out, AGAIN!, etc. . . ) However, on the weekends, I can be a techie zombie. I think I will be setting my timer to remind me to take a break from the digital grind. Thanks for the idea!

Tiffany Alcorn said...

Great post! It is very true that time seems to go by fast without realizing it when you are on a computer! I can be searching the web and look at the time and realize that hours have gone by. I think you made some good points about making sure to take breaks and really think about the health risks of sitting for too long. I think I am going to start making it a habit to not sit for more than an hour at a time without taking a break. Thanks for your post!

TR said...

Thank you for you great post. Let me start by saying I really want to be able to put in the graphs that you use in your post. You post was not only informative but interesting, I posted a blog about ergonomics, this is the best why to help you now that you are the student. I too find myself looking at the clock and wondering where did all the time go. I am sitting down at my computer doing work and look up and its 1:00AM in the morning, I even forget to eat sometimes. Reading your post has made me create a PowerPoint that will alarm when I set it to a certain time, that way I can stop and stretch or go eat. I don't want to die from trying to get an education ;-) that was a joke!
Thanks again

Tonga Ramseur EME5050

Bren Harkins said...

Tonga,
Thanks for your comment. I wish I could forget to eat when I'm on the computer. I have had the opposite problem. Since going back to school full time, I have gained weight! I find myself snacking when I'm not really hungry. Working on drinking water, tea, or Dandy Blend instead.
Thanks again!
~Bren H.

sbrnhghs said...

I love this blog. Thank you. I have been feeling the exact same way lately. I get home from work and I immediately sit down to do homework. Before I know it, 4 hours have passed and I am only halfway done! Then it's time to put the kids to bed and back to the computer I go. My blog this week is about time being our enemy so I feel that it links back to your blog of harmful activities. Like you, I rarely sit when teaching at school. When I get home, I want to relax but having to sit at a computer isn't exactly relaxing.