Tuesday, April 24, 2012

To Animoto & Beyond!

At the end of the school year, I always like to send my students off with a little gift. Memories and experiences are priceless.  I want my students to look back on their first grade experience with a sense of love, belonging, and accomplishment.  Each school year, I have created a video documenting our experiences with learning and celebrating. I also include big events like field trips and field days.  The videos were mostly photographs with text and music and some video recording mixed in.

In the past, I used software called Muvee which came on my former laptop. I later upgraded to a better version once the trial period ran out.  Another year, I used a program made by Microsoft, but at this point I don't even remember what it was. I believe it was part of Microsoft Office Suite, but I'm not 100% sure.

Well, I was finally able to play around with an awesome program for creating videos, slideshows, and digital stories!  I've been exploring with Animoto to create slideshows of my engagement photos.  I could have created a free account with the capability of creating 30-second videos, but making these types of videos for seven years in the classroom, I knew 30 seconds wasn't enough for me. Fortunately, the pricing was reasonable for creating longer videos ($30 a year), and I'm happy to say I've found the slideshow program I'm going to utilize in the classroom!  Check out this 60 second video telling you about Animoto.  Then, read on to see what the educator perks are!



The great news I *JUST* discovered is unlimited videos for educators!  You will need your school email address and class website/blog. Animoto will process your application and send you an educators code for the free account. On the educator page, Animoto is described in this way:

"Enhance your digital classroom with Animoto, an ideal tool for creating videos and presentations.  It takes just minutes to create a video which can bring your lessons to life."

It really is very simple to use. You just choose one of their songs or upload your own.  Choose your photos and video.  Add some text and off you go!  When deciding how you want to share your Animoto, you can email it, embed it (as I have at the end of this post), post it to Facebook, or upload to YouTube.  When I clicked on, "Sharing" and "More Options", I have the option to post to MySpace, Twitter, Blogger, Posterous, WordPress, and Tumblr.  When I click on "More Services..." over 300 options were available!  Some examples were Yoolink, Throwpile, Kaboodle, and iGoogle.  Incorporating Animoto into your classroom is bound to open the door to even more ways to get digitally connected and share knowledge. What a great way to incorporate those National Educational Technology Standards (NETS)!

Below, you can see my first Animoto for my engagement photo shoot as well as some education examples of hatching chickens in a third grade classroom and a digital story about the Texas Oil Boom.  Thanks for visiting, and I wish you the best in your educational endeavors! It was a pleasure learning, blogging, and commenting with you!  :-)







You can view the Animoto page here with more information about the photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bren,
I have to admit that I skipped the video of the chickens and went straight to the one of your engagement photos! It was so beautiful and a wonderful example of what animoto can do! You did an amazing job!

I think that this program will work wonderful do document my son's kindergarten year and graduation cermony. I am glad to hear that they have both a free version and not very expensive upgraded one.

Thanks for sharing this great program, it is always nice to try something new. Thanks for sharing your engagement video also. Best wishes :)
Kristen G.T.

www.clorantechblog.wordpress.com said...

Hi Bren,
I have never tried this site before. Seems like it might be an easy option for the digital storytelling project we just finished too. I think I'll also have my kids try this program after our road trip to Wisconsin. Might be fun for them to put together their favorite pictures from the trip! Thanks for introducing us to this web 2.0 tool!
~Kim

Camille D. said...

Wow, thank you for sharing your engagement pictures! They were very beautiful and I love how the Animoto turned out. I haven't personally tried it yet, but you convinced me with your awesome sample (more than the advertising video. Thank you for sharing the information about the educator version of Animoto, it's good to know there are other options that just the subscription. I like the idea of creating an end of the year memory keepsake and now with this type of software that is embeddable in various formats, continuous access is possible for both the students and parents. I'm curious what was the Microsoft software you used, maybe Photo Story?

Lydia said...

Hi Bren!

Thanks so much for sharing this. I haven't heard of this program before, but I'd definitely like to use it the future. Your photos were really energizing and exciting. I like the way you can add background and music to your presentation too.

Not sure, but it looks like the program must be easy to use which is wonderful since we are all so pressed for time. I also like your idea of giving copies to your students as a keepsake That's really nice.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing and I look forward to trying this out in the future.

Lydia