Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Child Can Teach

iPad lessons from two kids...
There’s something about a kid teaching the teacher a thing or two.  Everyone has something to contribute. Everyone is good at something.  In the classroom, I have found that kids love teaching others, especially the teacher.  The kids who struggle academically are the ones who usually light up the most when they are asked for help or guidance.  Teaching also helps kids organize and verbalize their thoughts. They are improving their speaking skills and patience with others.  I try to utilize this principle of having kids teach often.  We all know that we can internalize concepts and show mastery of a skill when we teach it to others. Everyone wins!

The reason I bring this up this week is because I wanted to learn how to use an iPad.  I don’t own one, but all I had to do was look no further than the two kids who I help take care of.  One is 13 and the other is 10.  Both students are on IEPs, and I knew teaching me would be beneficial to them too. Again, everyone wins!

Kristen, the 13 year old, seemed a bit skeptical when I told her I wanted her to give me iPad lessons. I wonder if she was wondering, “What would I teach the kid-sitter?” When I told her I wanted to know how to use iPads because they are being used in schools, she seemed to trust my genuine intentions.  I explained that I wanted to start with the basics:  powering on/off, volume control, opening apps, surfing the internet, using the keyboard, and closing windows.  I reminded her about the time when an inappropriate window popped up on her brother’s iPad, and I didn’t know how to close it.  We were in the kitchen and, not knowing what to do, I looked away and handed it over to their mother like a hot potato! It was a little traumatic not knowing how to close that window! That was the final motivator for me to hurry up and get some iPad lessons. 

Even with my explanation of goals, Kristen didn’t seem enthusiastic.  When I assured her 10-15 minute sessions would be sufficient, she was up for it.  I let her choose the time and place.  I even called her Miss (last name) just like if I addressed a real teacher. She smiled, and I felt she truly trusted me at this point. I really DID want to learn from her!  She was a natural teacher and did a great job giving me time to practice on my own.  iPad Lesson 1 complete!  

I was ready for my next lesson with her 10 year old brother when Kristen gently told me, “When I took dance, my teacher told us to take breaks between routines to help us learn better. You should wait a little bit before doing your next lesson. It will help you learn better.” I felt so proud of this sweet girl when she told me that!  I took her advice by waiting to meet with her brother.

When I was getting ready for my second iPad lesson with Tyler, the 10 year old, I let him pick the time and place.  He told me 5:40 up in his room at his desk. He even told me to bring my own little stool to sit on. (He was referring to my vanity chair.)  I called him Mr. (last name) to make it official. I even brought him an apple post-it note and beamed as I proudly told him, “An apple for the teacher.”  He smiled, took the apple, and put it in the trash! Funny, but Ouch! This reminded me to be careful of how I treat my students’ “presents” (specifically, if I'm going to throw something away, don't do it in front of them!). 

My lesson with Tyler was a little different. He hesitated and wasn’t sure how to “teach” me. His instinct was to just do it.  This reminded me that sometimes as teachers, we end up just doing instead of allowing the students to learn on their own or through scaffolding.  Since he was not sure what to do, I told him that I needed to learn how to go through the apps screens and select apps. I even played a couple of the apps to practice touching the screen to select and getting used to the interface.  He seemed to like "quizzing" me by directing me to choose certain apps and then monitoring my progress. iPad lesson 2 complete!

I plan to continue iPad lessons a few more times with my new teachers. In reflecting on this experience, I would say that it reminded me just how important exploration is.  Allowing students time to just “explore” the technology and "play around" with it truly is beneficial.  I hope that from this post you will see that letting your kids or students take the lead is something we should be doing from time-to-time. It’s great for confidence and skills.  It lets them see adults don’t know everything, and we believe in them. It assures them they have value and can contribute.  Everyone really does win.

Check out the following video of second grade students teaching to learn math. Also, please leave a comment and let me know ways you give your children or students opportunities to teach each other and you! Thanks!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog! I also believe that one of the teach is to let the student lead. It is amazing what students are able to teach. When I got my first smartphone it was my 9 year old step daughter that taught me how to work it! My 6 year old son taught me how to find the good games and even my 3 year old was able to open angry birds before the first week was over!
When we turn the reins over to students it shows them that we trust them. A little bit of trust and faith goes a long way! I am glad that your lessons went well. I bet that those children will be more willing to learn things from you now that you have learned from them!
Kristen G.T.

Rupes said...

I believe your overall point on “Everyone has something to contribute. Everyone is good at something” is a great mindset to have when working with students. I think it’s great for you to reach out to kids and ask them to teach and explain something to you. I think it’s very humbling yet meaningful experience in allowing younger kids to take the lead in explaining a concept. I try doing that with my young five and eight year old nephews when I was trying to learn how to play the Wii. This interaction with my nephews as the teacher and I as the student was useful because I was able to grasp the concept of how to use the Wii and they were able to help me through that learning process. They didn’t belittle me or got frustrated with me when I either asked an “uninformed question” or kept messing up. They took pride and patience in teaching me and allowing me to keep trying until I got the hang of it. Besides learning more about using the Wii, I also learned how important it is to have patience for others when I become the teacher. Kids are truly amazing and they have so much to offer and so much to teach us.

Rupert N.

Camille D. said...

Great post! Students can be so funny/insensitive sometimes (regarding the apple)! Your post definitely supports the idea that by teaching, you can become a better student. Letting the students teach you about the iPad is a great way for them to express their knowledge and gives them an edge of success. As a teacher, it is easy to forget the steps and elements of an idea because of our experience and background knowledge. Part of becoming a better teacher is reminding ourselves that not all students have shared the same experiences and may have different approaches to learning. I'm glad that you are a learning more about the iPad, it's a fun and handy tool that keeps the attention of the kids. Are the lessons building up to an eventual purchase?

Bren Harkins said...

Camille,
Thanks for your comment. Regarding your question, at this point I don't have plans for an iPad. However, I've been wanting to get my mom a laptop and just yesterday I was thinking I should get her a tablet (something more affordable than the iPad). She doesn't use computers but I want her to be able to Skype with me and other family (especially her relatives in other countries). Also, I want her to be able to use Facebook, again for keeping in touch with relatives.
~Bren